<<< Home>>>     <<< LITHUANIAN>>>    





Problems, opinions

Lithuanian Castles and the Posibilities of Their Use for Cultural Tourism



Academy of Cultural Heritage, Vilnius university


The article is concerned with XIII-XIV c. wooden Lithuanian castles, which were used to fight the Teutonic knights, and are now only reminded by nearly a 1000 mounds which are located in the actual territory of Lithuania. The article also deals with the middle age stone castles which began to be built as the Lithuanian state was established and started to prosper, and  XVI-XVIII c. bastion and renaissance residential castles.

Both wooden built on mounds and stone castles are attributed to the same monument category. The historical development of such a group, its architectural traditions, possibilities and problems of preservation and the use for cultural tourism are discussed.


Contact: dr. Albinas Kuncevičius

Academy of Cultural Heritage, Vilnius University

7 Universiteto str., LT-01122 Vilnius.

Tel.: (+370) 5 2687251. E-mail: kpa@aiva.lt



Programs, projects


The Living Estates and Castles: The Development

of Cultural Tourism in Lithuania and Latvia


Martynas UŽPELKIS, project manager

PI „The Center for Social and Economic Development“


PI „The Center for Social and Economic Development“ together with the Lithuanian museum association, Lithuanian hotel and restaurant association, Latvian castle and manor association and the Latvian culture, history and nature heritage development fund presented the PHARE 2002 Cooperation across the border programme Small projects fund with a bid for the allocation of funds for the project: „The Living Estates and Castles: The Development of Cultural Tourism in Lithuania and Latvia“. The aim of the project is to further develop the cultural tourism across the border, by improving the marketing of the Lithuanian and Latvian manors and castles and their integration into the world tourism market, to promote the long term cooperation between Lithuanian and Latvian museologists and tourism businessmen as well as the exchange of know-how in the culture and tourism fields.


Contact: Martynas Užpelkis

PI „The Center for Social and Economic Development“

3-205 J.Galvydžio str., LT-08236 Vilnius

Tel.: (+370) 5 274 58 70. E-mail: mu@sepc.lt



Ideas of Construction of a Wooden Castle in Anykščiai



Antanas Baranauskas and Antanas

Vienuolis-Zukauskas Museum


In this publication the author presents a project which envisages a construction of a wooden castle on the Šeimyniškėliai mound, which would remind of the wars with Teutonic knights. The only wooden castle in Lithuania, built on one of the highest mounds would be an impressive tourist attraction, a symbol of historic memory and of the establishment and flourishing of the Lithuanian state, a means of building national awareness. The castle complex which is being created according to the archaelogical and historic material will be made of a 5 meter wall with galleries around the perimeter of the mound, 4 towers, a surveying tower, a wooden bridge across the Varelis brook, the old historic road to the castle (around the mound) and a wooden bridge across the Volupis stream. Historic expositions will be situated inside the defensive towers, whilst educational and cultural events: concerts of ancient music as well as the Castle theater shows will take place in the castle courtyard. On 2004 May 1 – the day of the Lithuanian accesion into the EU – the first log foundation has been set.


Contact: Asta Ražanskienė

Antanas Baranauskas and Antanas

Vienuolis-Zukauskas Museum

4 A. Vienuolio str., LT- 29147 Anykščiai.

Tel.: (+370) 381 58015. E-mail: a.vienuolis@delfi.lt


Medininkai Castle Acquired a Manager



Trakai History Museum


Medininkai castle, which is situated 30 kilometers from the center of the capital of Lithuania Vilnius, was built in the end of the 13 th – the beginning 14 th It has the biggest surface area in Lithuania. In 1991 the fragmentic castle restoration and conservation began according to the architect S.Mikulionis project, but for the last four years works have not been carried out due to the lack of funding. One of the reasons was that the castle did not have a proper manager. By the decree of the 2004 February of the Minister of Culture Medininkai castle was transferred to the Trakai History Museum, situated in the Trakai Peninsula and the Island Museums. It is envisaged to rebuild the Medininkai castle donjon and place a museum exposition there, organise various events in the courtyard: music festivals, concerts, ancient handicraft days – to turn Medininkai into a cultural tourism magnet not only for Lithuanians but foreign tourists as well.


Contact: Irena Senulienė

Trakai History Museum

4 Kestučio str., LT-21104, Trakai.

Tel.: (+370) 528 53941, (+370) 528 53940.

E-mail: trakai.museum@is.lt


Kaunas Castle yesterday, today and tommorow...



Vytautas the Great War Museum


Kaunas castle situated in a picturesque confluence of Nemunas and Neris rivers, is one of the oldest buildings in Kaunas, closely related to the history of the city and is one of the few remaining in Lithuania XIV-XVII c.

military architecture monuments. For a long time the manager of Kaunas castle was the Vytautas the Great War Museum. But by the 2004 June 10th the government decree No.719 the state-owned Kaunas castle was transferred to the Kaunas city municipality. In the southeastern tower of the castle, which was fragmentically restaurated in the 1970-1990ies, archaelogical finds and ancient weaponry were exposed.

Towards the end of the nineties due to the worsening tower conditions the exposition was terminated. A few years ago the Monument Restauration and Planing Institute architects led by K.Mikšys, presented a vision of the castle reconstruction, which was based on archeological, architectural, iconographic material research.  This vision was not realised by the Vytautas the Great War Museum due to the lack of funding. There is a hope that the new manager will implement it.


Contact: Danutė Gruzdienė

Vytautas The Great War Museum

64 Donelaičio str., LT-44248, Kaunas.

Tel.: (+370) 37 320765, Fax +370-37-320765.

E-mail: V.D.karomuziejus@takas.lt





„The Castle“ Association and its Heritage


Protection Initiatives


The Association „The Castle“, The Castle Reconstruction Assistance Fund


This publication throws light on the association

„The Castle“, its objective being to support the Lithuanian castle research, regeneration, management and popularizing. The association was established on 1999 September 8 and currently holds 50 members in  Vilnius,

Kaunas and the USA.  The members of the association cooperate with museums, schools, other cultural heritage and education institutions, organise cultural,

charity events, contests, discussions between professionals and the society, which help cultivate the statehood traditions, strengthen the historic and ethnic self consciuosness of the nation.


Contact: The Association „The Castle“

10 Lūkesčių str.,  LT-04125, Vilnius

Tel.: (+370) 5 270 67 76, fax. (+370) 5 270 67 77.

E-mail: studija@takas.lt, fondas@lvr.lt


The Cultural – Spiritual Heritage of the Vilnius Lower Castle

The Dress of the Middle and Folklore Group „Sedula“


The Castle Research Centre „Lietuvos pilys“


The publication is about the Castle Research Centre „Lietuvos pilys“ folkore group „Sedula“ project „Sedula“: A Modern Glance at the Middle Ages“.

The result of the project – the recreation and popularization of the medieval costume. The members of the folklore group „Sedula“ – six women dressed in XV c. clothes, recreated according to Lithuanian burial monument material stored in museums – jewellery, metal garment details  and textile shreds. They sing medieval songs, once sung not only in country fields but in the duke’s halls, now on the ruins of the Vilnius Lower Castle and on the top of Kernavė mound.

The recreation and coordination of material and spiritual heritage due to the activity of the group fits perfectly with modern thinking  and conception of beauty. It flows naturally into the concert space in the ruins of the castle or the already rebuilt hall.


Contact: Daiva Steponavičienė

The Castle Research Centre „Lietuvos pilys“

4 Katedros Sq, LT-01100, Vilnius

Tel.: (+370) 5 262 99 88, fax  (+370) 5 212 00 49.

E-mail: info@lietuvospilys.lt  www.Lietuvospilys.lt


The Martial Arts of the Knights and the Club


„Medieval Messengers“


Trakai Historical Museum


The article presents the activity of the „Medieval messengers“ club, which strives to revive and nurture the traditions of the medieval martial arts. A new project is also mentioned, which in cooperation with the Academy of European Medieval Martial  Arts (AEMMA) aims to familiarise the general public with the medieval European martial arts.  The club „Medieval messengers“ in Trakai and in other Lithuanian castles organises knight tournaments, archer contests, cognitive seminars for students and grown ups. An exposition of the performance material – weapon and armor copies – is placed in one of the Trakai Island Castle Western casemate towers. Next to the Island Castle a shooting range has been provided to the seminar participants and Island Castle visitors were they can shoot with a crossbow or an arbalest.


Contact: Juras Visockis

The Club „Medieval Messengers“

4 Kęstučio str., LT-21104, Trakai

Tel.: (+370) 687 46691;  (+370) 698 40861.

E-mail: info@viduramziai.lt  www.viduramziai.lt


The Secrets of the Ancient Handicrafts and the Club of Experimental Archaeology „Pajauta“ 



The Club of Experimental Archaeology „Pajauta“


The publication presents the development of Lithuanian experimental archaeology and the activity of the experimental archaeology club „Pajauta“.

The experimental archaeology in Lithuania dates back to the end of the XIX c., when T. Daugirdas reconstructed the stone drilling techniques. It gained a wider following in the XX c. (due mostly to the activity of Šiauliai „Aušra“ museum, Kernavė Cultural Reservation and Trakai History Museum). Experimental archaelogy specialists are united by the club „Pajauta“, Established in 2002, it is a member of the international association EXARC. Members of the club, basing themselves on the Lithuanian archaelogical material reconstruct prehistorical and medieval sites of material culture. The club organises festivals, camps, lectures. At the the moment the club comprises 38 members, 28 handicrafts are being reconstructed. Club members are the main participants of the international Live archaeology festival in Kernavė.


Contact: Daiva Luchtanienė

The Club of Experimental Archaeology „Pajauta“

6-9 Jogailos str., LT- 01116, Vilnius

Tel.: (+370) 5 26110 62; (+370) 687 87001.

E-mail: luchtaniene@centras.lt  www.pajauta.tinkle.lt


New Museums and Expositions

The Icongraphy of the Castle and Weapons in the Tower of the Gediminas’ Castle

Tadas ŠĖMA

National Museum of  Lithuania, Department of History


In the old town of Vilnius at the confluence of Neris and Vilnelė, on one of the oldest mounds in Lithuania

lurk the ruins of the Upper castle. From what once was a great and strong castle only separate buildings remain: the palace and defensive wall fragments, fundaments of the southern tower and a three storey (20 m) western tower, inside of which the Gediminas castle exposition is situated.  The exposition space of the Castle tower is extremely limited, so the showpieces are chosen so as to highlight the defensive character of the Upper castle.

The base floor houses the bust of the Great Duke of Lithuania Vytautas (sculptor Vincas Grybas) under whose rule the stone Upper castle was built.  The models of the XIV c. Upper, Lower and the Wry castles are on the first floor together with photographs of the Upper castle in the end of the XIX – the beginning of the XX centuries. The second floor exposes the reconstructed flags of the Great Duke of Lithuania Vytautas’ troops, authentic XIII – XVIII c. weapons and ammunition.


Contact: Tadas Šėma

National Museum of  Lithuania, Department of History

1 Arsenalo str., LT-01100, Vilnius.

Tel.: ( +370) 5 2122821. E-mail: istorija@lnm.lt


Klaipėda Castle Museum has been Established


Dr. Jonas GENYS

Lithuania Minor History Museum


In 2002 Klaipėda celebrated its 750th jubilee. To commemorate that occasion on September 1 the Castle Museum was opened in the territory of the Klaipėda castle-site, set on the bulwark-bastion.

The museum exposition throws light on the XIII-XVII c. Klaipėda city and castle development. That is testified by city and castle models, various drawings, plans and documents of different time periods. Manequins

with traditional medieval, renaissance clothes, work tools, armory and weaponry, archaeological items (ceramics, metal, etc.) demonstrate the life in the castle. Lots of interesting facts about Klaipėda city and castle can be found by using the computer and visiting the virtual museum or by playing a historical computer game.


Contact: Dr. Jonas Genys

Lithuania Minor History Museum

7 Liepų str., LT-92138, Klaipėda.

Tel.: (+370) 46 410523, fax (+370) 46 312139.

E-mail: info@mlimuziejus.lt

Klaipėda Castle Museum, 4 Pilies str., Klaipėda


Treasures of Sacral Art in the Old Arsenal of the Vilnius Lower Castle. A Renewed Exposition in the Museum of Applied Art


On 2004 March 4 a  renewed exhibition was opened in the second floor of the Museum of Applied

Art situated in the Vilnius Lower Castle. It replaced the long time exhibition of the Lithuanian Millenium

Programme „Christianity in Lithuanian Art“ (terminated in 2003). For the first time Lithuanian folk sacral art was demonstrated in the museum halls. More than 250 valuable folk art works make up the exhibition.

The visitors will be delighted by the professional sacral fine arts – there are about a hundred paintings and sculptures from the Lithuanian Art Museum  collection and other collections from churches and palaces, etc. 

The icon collection is presented separately. It has more than 170 works.

All of the items will be on display for two years.


Prepared according the information supplied by the Lithuanian Art Museum Public Relations Center.


Contact: Lithuanian Art Museum,

The Centre of Public Relation

4 Didžioji str., LT-01128, Vilnius

Tel.: (+370) 5 2120841; (+370) 687 16739.

E-mail: muziejus@ldm.lt, galerija@ldm.lt


Biržai Castle History in the „Sėla“ Museum Exposition



Biržai Area Museum „Sėla“


Biržai Area Museum „ Sėla“ is situated in the XVII c. Biržai castle palace, which was restorated in 1986. The exposition about the Biržai city, estates and castle palace history is set in four halls in the basement of the palace.

Biržai bastion castle, city fortification and defense system complex was the only one of a kind in Lithuania. It was built in three stages. In 1586 by the initiative of Kristupas Mikalojus Radvila an Italian type square plan bastion castle was started (finished in 1589). In 1637 thanks to Jonušas Radvila it was reconstructed into a Dutch type bastion castle. In 1657 Biržų castle was half destroyed, and the city was burnt down. In 1659 the castle was rebuilt for the third time. Bulwarks, dikes were repaired, military barracks, gates, and stables were built, the arsenal was reconstructed. The construction of the palace which started in 1652 was then still not finished. During the Northern War the Biržai palace was damaged again – in 1704 the Biržai castle palace and other bulidings were blown up by the Swedish invadors. After that the castle lost its defensive purpose. Biržai castle history in „Sėla“ Museum is illustrated by a copy of T.Makovskis engravings, where the first Italian type bastion – Biržai castle is pictured, as well as a model of the second castle (made in 1998, author Valdas Rakutis), and the items found during archaeological excavations: Kristupas Radvilas Perkūnas’ and other renaissance tiles, clay dishes, etc.

The history of palace restauration is illustrated by a stand with photos and plans.


Contact: Roma Songailaitė

Biržai Area Museum „Sėla“

3 J. Radvilos str., LT-41175, Biržai

Tel.: (+370) 450 31883, Fax (+370) 450 31883.

E-mail: bkm_sela@is.lt


The New Archaeological Exposition in the Šiauliai „Aušra“ Museum


Šiauliai „Aušra“ Museum, Department of Archeology


On 2004 March 5 a new archaeological exposition

was open in Šiauliai „Aušra“ Museum. It covers

a wast time interval from the oldest times – the stone age – up untill XVII c. and reflects daily life in Šiauliai and Šiauliai region. Archaeological exhibits

– the items found in first prewar expeditions and current findings of archaeological excavations – from Šiaulių „Aušra“ Museum collection were used to create this exposition. Lots of reconstructions, subject

paintings, not only archaeological findings but their environment as well have been shown in the

exhibition. Next to glass showcases with archaeological items work processes and buildings of different

periods are represented in open spaces.

This gives the visitors a real opportunity to take a look into life of our ancestors hundreds and thousands

years ago.


Contact: Audronė Šapaitė

Šiauliai „Aušra“ Museum

89 Vytauto str., LT-77155, Šiauliai

Tel.: ( +370) 41 524390, Fax (+370) 41 526933.

 E-mail: ausros.muz@takas.lt


Juozas Naujalis Memorial Museum in the Raudondvaris Castle


Juozas Naujalis Memorial Museum


Composer Juozas Naujalis Memorial Museum (established 2002 January 1) situated in the Raudondvaris castle is presented in this publication.

More than 1000 items are stored in the Museum collections. Most of it consists of showpieces reflecting the life, creative work and community activity ofm J. Naujalis: photographs, documents, personal items, musical compositions. The other part of the exhibition is demonstrates showpieces about Raudondvaris town, its hinterland, the history of its famous peoples lives. The first known owner of Raudondvaris palace (called a castle from XIX c.) in the first half of XVII c. was Vaitiekus Dziavaltauskas. Around the mid XVII c. the palace became J. Kosakovskis’, and in  1652  LGD great etmon J. Radvila’s property. After his death the palace passed to B. Radvila. In 1662 Vorlovskis paid 30 thousand florins for the Raudondvaris palace. In the second part of XVIII c. it was property of Zabielos, from XIX c. the owner became counts Tiškevičiai. During the WWI the High Command of the occupant German army used the Raudondvaris palace as its headquarters. Lithuanian Women custody refuge for children was situated in the years 1924 – 1942 in Raudondvaris palace. During the WWII the palace was used by the German special operations squad which when retreating from Raudondvaris in 1944 destroyed the palace of the castle. In 1959 – 1973 the Raudondvaris complex was recontsructed according to the plan by architects S. Čerškutė and V. Jurkštas.


Contact: Lina Lapienytė

Juozas Naujalis Memorial Museum

4 Pilies takas str., LT-54127, Kaunas region.

Tel.: (+370) 612 53314. E-mail: naujalis@kaunorkss.lt


In the Exhibition Halls


The Most Important Facts of the Short Life of Saint Duke Casimire (1458-1484) in the Exhibition „Vita Sancti Casimiri“


In 2004 the 400 jubilee of the first confirmation gala in Vilnius of the canonization (1604) of St. Casimire is commemorated. For that occasion in the Museum of Arts and Crafts situated in the Old Arsenal of the Vilnius Lower Castle on 2004 March 4 an exhibition prepared by the Lithuanian Art Museum and the Library of the Lithuanian Science Academy was opened entiteled „Vita Sancti Casimiri“ (the life of St. Casimire). 

More than a hundred and thirty XV – XX c. manuscripts, prints or their facsmiles, paintings, sculptures, graphic, textile and gold items are presented in the exhibition “Vita Sancti Casimiri“. That testifies to a still vital tradition of worshiping the Lithuania’s patron saint Casimire. Most of the showpieces are parts of the Lithuanian Art Museum and the Library of the Lithuanian Science Academy collections.


Prepared according to information supplied by the Lithuanian Art Museum Public Realations Center.


Contact: Lithuanian Art Museum,

The Centre of Public Relation

4 Didžioji str., LT-01128, Vilnius

Tel.: (+370) 5 2120841; (+370) 687 16739.

E-mail: muziejus@ldm.lt , galerija@ldm.lt


The Historical Portrait of the 17th-18th century in Latvia


Anita MEINARTĖ, History Museum of Latvia


An exhibition etitled „Historical Portrait of Latvia“ was on diplay 2004 April 22 through June 27 in the National Museum of Lithuania. Paintings, engravings, medals and coins from the State Museum of Latvian History (situated in the Riga Castle) collections, introduce us to the unique art heritage, historical prcesses of 17th-18th Latvia.


Contact: History Museum of Latvia

Pils laukums 3, LV-1050 Riga

Tel.: ( +371) 7 223004, Fax ( +371) 7 220586.

E-mail: museum@history-museum.lv


Moneyboxes and Piggybanks in the Trakai


Island Castle

Saulius ZALYS

Trakai History Museum


The exibition opened by the Trakai History Museum (cooperating with Lithuanian museums and collectors) in the Trakai Island Castle casemate hall, called „Moneyboxes and Piggybanks in 14th-20th“ is  presented in the publication. Saving, thriftiness, the accumulation of the dowry, the serch for hidden and forsaken treasure – are common elements of Lithuanian folklore. The exhibition demonstrates the historical and functional evolution of moneyboxes, piggybanks and tins. Whilst being a part of the popular culture, they demonstrate the artistic, economic and even the political situation of their time. Items concerned with the idea of saving range from 14th  piggybanks to 20th mass produced saving chests. Some of the showpieces are of high artistic worth, others – just witnesses of their time.


Contact: Saulius Zalys

Trakai History Museum

4 Kęstučio str., LT-21104, Trakai

Tel.: (+370) 528 53941, Fax (+370) 528 53988.

E-mail: trakai.museum@is.lt


The Queen with the Shoes of Clay Or the Affirmation of the Self – Consciousness and the Consolidation of Mentality in the Works of L. Belvertaitė



National M.K.Čiurlionis Art Museum


This publication deals with the Leokadija Belvertaitė (1904-1992) ceramics, sculpture and painting jubilee exhibition „The Queen with the Shoes of Clay“ which was open in the National M.K.Čiurlionis Art Museum

(2004.01.22 – 04.04). National M.K.Čiurlionis Art Museum has a wide collection of this painters’ works. The time that separate us from the paintings of L. Belvertaitė of 60 – 70 ies convinces us of the need to foresee the social, artistic and historic worth of items in museology. Those works

of art become the witnesses of their time, expression of the Lithuanian cultural heritage and its spiritual mentality. It is also a great possibility to adjust what we know about the work of painters of the poststalinist period, while remaining at the core of the national culture and not following the world famous draperies of Masen or Wedgewood, the standarts of Russian porcelain factories.


Contact: Vida Mažrimienė

National M. K. Čiurlionis Art Museum

55 V. Putvinskio str., LT-44248, Kaunas.

Tel.: (+370) 37 229475, Fax (+370) 37 222606.

E-mail: MKC@takas.lt


The Inception of Theatrical Photography in Šiauliai



Šiauliai „Aušra“ Museum


An exposition dedicated to the International Day

of the Theatre named „Theatrical Illusions and Reality“ was opened on 2004 March 18 in the Šiauliai „Aušra“ Museum department the Photography Museum. Sketches, theatrical property, costumes from the Šiauliai Drama Theatre as well as Šiauliai „Aušra“ Museum collections were put on show. An important place is taken up by photographs, which capture the actors in action or display their artistic portraits.


Contact: Asta Katkienė

Šiauliai „Aušra“ Museum

89 Vytauto str., LT-77155, Šiauliai

Tel.: (+370) 41 524390, Fax (+370) 41 526933.

E-mail: ausros.muz@takas.lt


„The Way of Faith, Hope and Love“ Exhibition 



The Museum of Genocide Victims, Department of History 


On 2004 March 23 commemorating the 55 anniversary of the 1949 March mass deportations, in the variable expositions room of the Museum of Genocide Victims an exposition entitled – „The Way of Faith, Hope and Love“ was opened. In it the photographs, liturgical inventory, documents of the 1949 deportee priest Jonas Augustauskas are exhibited.  One of the most tragic periods of XX c. Lithuanian history is reflected through showpieces

about a single – priest Jonas Augustauskas’ – fate. The name of the exhibition is not casual – Faith, Hope and Love – are the three Godly virtues which the priest Jonas Augustauskas held fundamental in his own life.


Contact: Vilma Juozevičiūtė

The Museum of Genocide Victims, Department of History 

2a Aukų str., LT-01113, Vilnius.

Tel.:  (+370) 5 266 32 82, Fax (+370) 5 2497427.

E-mail: muziejus@genocid.lt, Vilma.j@genocid.lt




What do Trakai Castles Tell: Legends, Stories, Traditions



Trakai History Museum


Trakai History Museum that is situated in the Trakai Peninsula and Island castles is meant to preserve not only the material but also the spiritual medieval heritage.  Of the latter there is no shortage in Trakai, – the establishement of the city and the building of castles is legendary. In15th Trakai Island castle (now the main exhibition space of the museum) was the residence of the rulers of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Today in the palace of

the Island castle important state events, shows, concerts of ancient music take place. Most of the medieval traditions, way of life, handicrafts, culture of food, martial arts are demonstrated in the Medieval feasts staged in the Trakai History Museum Peninsula castle courtyard. The noise of smiths hammers, the jingle of weapons and armory, the sounds of ancient music, fabulous scents from field kitchen and lots of other details make the atmosphere of medieval castle come once again alive.


Contact: Brigita Balčytienė, Vydas Narvidas

Trakai History Museum

4 Kęstučio str., LT-21104, Trakai.

Tel.: (+370) 528 53941, (+370) 528 53946,

Fax: (+370) 528 55288. E-mail: trakai.museum@is.lt


Perkūnas Opened the Sky and Earth Again:

Jorė and Ceremonies for the Defenders of Kulionys Castle



Molėtai Land Museum


In the publication the feast of the first green of the spring – Jorė is presented. Towards the end of April the neo – pagans of Lithuania (romuviai) gather at the Molėtai Land Museum Etnographic homestead in Kulionys and the Ancient Observatory of the Celestial Bodies to feast on their New Year Holiday – the great Jorė day.

Ceremonies dedicated to the defenders of the Kulionys castle and all of manes of ancestors are held on the second day of Jorė on the Kulionys mound. The festive procession heads towards the Kulionys mound. A chain of people connects the saint place with the castle mound, living mixing with dead, the present with the past... On the castle mound after bowing down to the manes of the defenders of the Kulionys castle and the manes of the protectors of our spiritual heritage, the meeting expresses its thanks for beeing Lithuanian, for being alive, for having our land, for our language, for the faith.  Ancient chants are being chanted, swords of the knights are being clanged. Those resolved to continue with their ancestors work utter the sacred words of the oath and are ordained into romuviai, wowing to continue with the way of the ancestors and to create Harmony.


Contact: Jonas Vaiškūnas

Molėtai Land Museum

4 Inturkės str., LT-33141 Molėtai

Tel.: (+370) 230 51138, (+370) 230  51077.

E-mail: j.vaiskunas@mail.lt




The Treasure of the Vilnius Lower Castle – the Reflections of the State Trappings of Power of the End of the 14th


Eduardas REMECAS

National Museum of Lithuania, Department of Numismatics


The article deals with Great Duchy of Lithuania coins (that reflect on state trappings of power of the time) found in the 14th treasure discovered on the territory of the Vilnius Lower castle in 2002. The portrait of the Polish King and Lithuanian Great Duke Jogaila is described, the lion as a symbol of all of Russia, the fish – circle as a symbol of Christianity, the double cross and a horseman as Jogaila personal symbols, the pike with a cross – the early personal symbol of the Great Duke of Lithuania Vytautas are also mentioned. 


Contact: Eduardas Remecas

National Museum of Lithuania,

Department of Numismatics

1 Arsenalo str., LT-01100, Vilnius

Tel.: (+370) 5 2120250. E-mail: numizmatika@lnm.lt


The Workshops of Restorers


Works of Restorers of the Castle Research

Center „Lithuanian Castles“



Castle Research Center „Lithuanian Castles“

Restoration Department


The Castle Research Center „Lithuanian Castles“ Restoration Department established 1993 is one of the youngest restoration laboratories in Lithuania. Archaelogical 14th-17th metal, wooden, leather, ceramic artefacts (as well as those intended to be used in the expositions in the reconstructed Grand Duchy of Lithuania Royal Palace) found in the teritorry of Vilnius castles are conservated and restorated in the department. A part of the conservated and restored items are already on show in the Museum of Applied Art, in the „Great Duchy of Lithuania Royal Palace findings“.


Contact: Aldona Skučienė

The Castle Research Centre „ Lithuanian Castles „

4 Katedros Sq, LT-01100, Vilnius

Tel.: (+370) 5 262 99 88, fax  (+370) 5 212 00 49.

E-mail: info@lietuvospilys.lt  www.Lietuvospilys.lt




Cooperation of Castles and Museums in the Baltic

Sea Region


Vivi JENSEN, Danish representative at the Baltic Sea Region Castle and Museum Association

The Museum at Koldinghus Castle


The Baltic Sea Region Castle and Museum Association

was established 1991 July 20 in Malbork Poland. The Malbork castle became the symbol of this association and a meeting place of it as well (the last meeting took place in october). The association currently has more than 40 museums situated in Swedish, Finish, Russian, Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, German and Danish castles. The goal of the association is to spread the cultural cooperation and mutual assistance of the castle – museums of the region, stress the architectural similarities and differences to reflect on local history and culture.


Contact: Vivi Jensen

The Museum at Koldinghus Castle

E-mail: vj@koldinghus.dk


After Visiting Castles and Regal Residences in Central Europe


Grand Duchy of Lithuania Royal Palace Reconstruction Project Coordinator


This publication is about the trip of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Royal Palace researchers, reconstruction project staff, museologists to a first research expedition into Central Europe. The members of the expedition visited the most important Polish, Hungarian, Slovakian, Czhech and Austrian historical palaces and castles. Specialists from the Lithuanian Art Museum, Castle Research Center „Lithuanian Castles“ and Monument Restoration and Design Institute looked into architectural and historical development of Central European Residential Complexes which are tipologically and chronologically similar to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Royal Palace. Material about internal space division, interior design and decoration, historical and modern room purposes, their adaptation for modern cultural, tourism, representative and educational functions has been gathered. Important ties for future cultural exchange have been set.



Žiemgaliai in the Past: an Exhibition at the Riga Castle


National Museum of Lithuania, Department of Archaeology


On the last day of September 2003 at the Latvian History Museum situated in the Riga Castle a joint Latvian History Museum and National Museum of Lithuania exhibition and a book „Žiemgaliai in the Past“ were unveiled to the public.  Žiemgaliai, a baltic nation, after about a century of war with Teutonic Orders in 13th burned down their castles and moved to Lithuania (which was the only Eastern Baltic nation which kept its independence during the Teutonic onslaughts).

The book and the exhibition tell about žiemgaliai ethnic history, the territory they settled during different time periods, Žiemgala land composition, social structure, žiemgaliai mounds, settlements and burial monuments, economy and trade ties, their clothes and jewellery, Žiemgala conquest and the life of žiemgaliai after that.


Contact: Eglė Griciuvienė

National Museum of Lithuania,

Department of Archaeology

1 Arsenalo str., LT-01100, Vilnius

Tel.: (+370) 5 2610030. E-mail: archeologija@lnm.lt

© Association of Lithuanian Museums
© Lithuanian Art Museum
  Updated 2010.07.14